Starve the Vulture by Jason Carney
A lyrical, mesmerizing debut from Jason Carney who overcomes his own racism, homophobia, drug addiction, and harrowing brushes with death to find redemption and unlikely fame on the national performance poetry circuit. Woven into Carney’s path to recovery is a powerful family story, depicting the roots of prejudice and dysfunction through several generations.
- January 8, 2015: Wilkes University
- January 12, 2015: Bar 13 in New York City
- January 19, 2015: Penn College of Technology
- January 20, 2015: North Hampton Mass
- January 21, 2015: Cantab Boston Mass
- January 22, 2015: Slam Free or Die in Manchester, New Hampshire
- January 25, 2015: Lizard Lounge in Boston, Massachusetts
- January 26, 2015: Dirty Gerund in Worchester, Massachusetts
- January 27, 2015: Port Veritas in Portland, Maine
Sing in the Morning, Cry at Night, by Barbara J. Taylor
A page-turning debut novel set in Scranton, Pennsylvania, during the height of coal mining, vaudeville, and evangelism. Inspired by a haunting family story, Sing in the Morning, Cry at Night blends real life incidents with fiction to show how grace can be found in the midst of tragedy.
Readings and Events:
- July 16, 2014: Barbara J. Taylor – Lackawanna Historical Society, Scranton, PA at 7 p.m.
- July 24, 2014: Barbara J. Taylor – Fiction Panel, Hoyt Library, Kingston, PA at 6 p.m.
- July 29, 2014: Barbara J. Taylor – The Cafe and Then Some, Greenville, SC at 6:30 p.m.
- July 30, 2014: Barbara J. Taylor – Malaprop’s Bookstore/Cafe, Asheville, NC at 7 p.m.
- Aug. 4, 2014: Barbara J. Taylor, Kaylie Jones – Bluestockings, New York, NY at 7 p.m.
- Aug. 8, 2014: Barbara J. Taylor – RiverReads Books, Binghamton, NY at 6:30 p.m.
- Aug. 21, 2014: Laurie Loewenstein, Barbara J. Taylor – KGB Bar, New York, NY at 7 p.m.
- Aug. 23, 2014: Barbara J. Taylor – Barnes & Noble, Arena Hub Plaza, Wilkes Barre, PA at 5 p.m.
- Sept. 14, 2014: Barbara J. Taylor – Jersey Shore Writers Reading Series, Ocean Grove, NJ at 7 p.m.
- Oct. 18, 2014: Barbara J. Taylor – The Pagoda Writers, Reading, PA at 1 p.m.
- Nov. 8, 2014: Barbara J. Taylor – The Vintage Theater, Scranton, PA at 7 p.m.
Unmentionables, by Laurie Loewenstein
Our flagship publication takes place on the 1917 Chautauqua circuit, in rural Illinois, on the verge of US involvement in WWI. While the larger topics are race and women’s suffrage, the characters and their courageous stands against oppression and reactionary bigotry could not be more relevant today.
Readings and Events:
- Jan 22, 2014: Laurie Loewenstein, Kaylie Jones – Bluestockings Bookstore, New York, NY
- Feb 12, 2014: Laurie Loewenstein – Brown University Bookstore, Providence, RI
- Feb 19, 2014: Laurie Loewenstein – Books & Company, Oconomowoc, WI
- Feb 20, 2014: Laurie Loewenstein – The Book Cellar, Chicago, IL
- Mar 5, 2014: Laurie Loewenstein – Joseph-Beth Booksellers, Cincinnati, OH
- Mar 10, 2014: Laurie Loewenstein – Nicola’s Books, Ann Arbor, MI
- Apr 30, 2014: Laurie Loewenstein – BookPeople, Austin, TX
- May 1, 2014: Laurie Loewenstein – Brazos Bookstore, Houston, TX